
West Suffolk Council has approved a new policy that judges taxis and private hire vehicles by their emission levels rather than their age. Starting 1 July 2026, the updated rules will require all new vehicles joining the local fleet to meet the strict Euro 6 emissions standard, which limits harmful pollutants such as Nitrogen Dioxide and particulates.
The policy also accommodates the newly introduced, even higher Euro 7 standard.
The decision scraps a 2022 policy that required all new taxis to be less than five years old. The shift follows Department for Transport guidance, which states that vehicle emissions, not vehicle age, should be the main factor for licensing authorities.
The council previously removed the upper age limit for existing vehicles, choosing instead to manage emissions through regular vehicle testing.
The move has strong backing from local drivers. During a public consultation in March, more than 84 per cent of respondents voted in favor of the change.
Currently, around 520 vehicles - representing 90 per cent of West Suffolk's taxi and private hire fleet - already meet the Euro 6 standards. The remaining 10 per cent of the fleet will not be forced to upgrade immediately, as the new rule only applies to new vehicles joining the fleet.
Cllr Gerald Kelly, Cabinet Member for Environment and Regulatory at the council, welcomed the decision. “This change, which has been backed by the trade, provides a more effective way to manage the emissions from the taxis and PHVs that come into our West Suffolk fleet," Cllr Kelly said. "This policy change will support the trade by reducing the need for them to replace their vehicle while also stopping higher polluting vehicles from joining our fleet.”
While the council also asked drivers about eventually phasing in the Euro 6 standard for existing vehicles during their annual licence renewals, no start date has been set.
Although two-thirds of drivers supported introducing this change either immediately or by 2027, the council acknowledged it would create a financial burden for the owners of the roughly 58 vehicles that do not currently meet the standard.
Officials have promised to carry out further discussions with the taxi trade before making a final decision on that transition.

Unite the Union has taken its fight directly to Edinburgh Airport management, the City of Edinburgh Council, and the Scottish Government. 

Following a six-month trial at the new Beaulieu Park Station, the council initially suspended the £200 permit charges to allow drivers to use the rank for free.

The new government pilot scheme marks a major milestone toward fully commercial passenger services, allowing prominent technology and transport firms to test bookable driverless journeys.

Lancaster and Wyre MP Cat Smith has thrown her support behind a new law that allows local councils to immediately suspend taxi licences issued by other authorities.

Johnson, who was a 19-year-old university student when she encountered Worboys in 2007, helped bring the serial sex attacker to justice. 

Councillor Shaukat Ali took over the civic role during a Mayor Making ceremony on Wednesday 20 May.

XPeng is the first Chinese automaker to achieve this milestone using entirely in-house hardware and software.

Ryan Breslow, the co-founder and chief executive of US fintech firm Bolt, said the department was scrapped as part of sweeping layoffs aimed at returning the struggling business to 'start-up mode'.

The decision by the council's Licensing Sub-Committee comes in response to a direct request from a local taxi operator calling for an increase in the number of official stances.

Members of the general licensing committee voted overwhelmingly to refuse the application for a Skoda Octavia following a series of rule breaches and safety suspensions.

Aras Abdullah, 47, turned away the woman at Stoke Station, claiming a severe allergy to animal hair, North Staffordshire Magistrates' Court heard.

Daniel Smith, 34, was found guilty of assault and causing serious injury by dangerous driving at Glasgow Sheriff Court, following a dramatic confrontation that left the victim with broken bones and lasting trauma.

Surrey Police officers were called to Castle Street in the early hours of Sunday morning (May 10) following reports of a massive fight.

Argent Bajrami, 40, was cleared of the single charge by a jury, bringing an end to an allegation that dates back nearly three years.

The cabbie was working on Forge Lane in Etruria when the frightening encounter unfolded.

Kieran McKechnie, 37, of Kirkby, was sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court after being caught operating the "Lil T" drugs line to pay off a £1,300 cocaine debt.

Muhammad Ramiz, 39, of Melrose Meldreth, faced immediate action from South Cambridgeshire District Council following an investigation into the discriminatory incident.

Drivers warn that taxi fraud is a damaging financial blow that forces many in the industry to work longer hours just to make a living.

The viral footage, posted on Friday, May 8, by user @Geoffbuycars, has racked up nearly a million views as people flock to see the unexpected British vehicle abroad.

Roads policing officers teamed up with enforcement squads from Sheffield City Council and North-East Derbyshire Council for the targeted operation on Penistone Road on Friday, May 8.
