
Carrie Johnson, the wife of former Prime Minister Boris Johnson, has warned that the number of victims targeted by black-cab rapist John Worboys could be "up to 1,000, if not more."
Johnson, who was a 19-year-old university student when she encountered Worboys in 2007, helped bring the serial sex attacker to justice. She revealed that news of the Parole Board recently refusing Worboys release brought a "huge relief" to many survivors.
The board stated that he "continues to represent a high risk of committing further serious sexual offences against women."
Worboys is currently serving a life sentence for drugging and assaulting women in his taxi. His routine involved pretending he had won money and offering his passengers spiked drinks.
He was first convicted in 2009 for offences against 12 women, but received a life sentence in 2019 after more victims came forward regarding older crimes spanning from 2000 to 2008.
Speaking on Good Morning Britain, Johnson highlighted how long Worboys operated. "The truth is that his crimes span from, what we know, from 2000 up to when he was convicted in 2009. And he was a cab driver for that duration, out potentially every night in his cab, so there could be up to 1,000, if not more than that," she said.
Johnson explained that a recent ITV dramatisation of the case has prompted even more women to contact her, believing they were also targeted.
She urged others to come forward, noting that many women might not have realised they were drugged at the time. "I think there’ll be women who, like me, were drugged, who might not realise they were drugged, who just thought: ‘God, maybe that last drink didn’t sit well with me.’"
Sharing her own ordeal, Johnson recalled waiting for a night bus in Chelsea when Worboys offered her a £5 ride. Inside the cab, he offered her champagne to celebrate a casino win. "Thankfully though – and my goodness, I am thankful – I didn’t drink it," she previously wrote. Instead, she secretly poured the drink onto the floor.
Worboys later stopped in a dark area by Putney Common, climbed into the back seat, and forced her to drink a shot of vodka.
After she told him her mother was waiting for her, he dropped her off and gave her his phone number. Once inside her house, Johnson passed out fully clothed in an empty bathtub.
She later identified Worboys in a police lineup and handed over his phone number, which helped secure his conviction.
Worboys is expected to be considered for parole again in about two years.

Councillor Shaukat Ali took over the civic role during a Mayor Making ceremony on Wednesday 20 May.

XPeng is the first Chinese automaker to achieve this milestone using entirely in-house hardware and software.

Ryan Breslow, the co-founder and chief executive of US fintech firm Bolt, said the department was scrapped as part of sweeping layoffs aimed at returning the struggling business to 'start-up mode'.

The decision by the council's Licensing Sub-Committee comes in response to a direct request from a local taxi operator calling for an increase in the number of official stances.

Members of the general licensing committee voted overwhelmingly to refuse the application for a Skoda Octavia following a series of rule breaches and safety suspensions.

Aras Abdullah, 47, turned away the woman at Stoke Station, claiming a severe allergy to animal hair, North Staffordshire Magistrates' Court heard.

Daniel Smith, 34, was found guilty of assault and causing serious injury by dangerous driving at Glasgow Sheriff Court, following a dramatic confrontation that left the victim with broken bones and lasting trauma.

Surrey Police officers were called to Castle Street in the early hours of Sunday morning (May 10) following reports of a massive fight.

Argent Bajrami, 40, was cleared of the single charge by a jury, bringing an end to an allegation that dates back nearly three years.

The cabbie was working on Forge Lane in Etruria when the frightening encounter unfolded.

Kieran McKechnie, 37, of Kirkby, was sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court after being caught operating the "Lil T" drugs line to pay off a £1,300 cocaine debt.

Muhammad Ramiz, 39, of Melrose Meldreth, faced immediate action from South Cambridgeshire District Council following an investigation into the discriminatory incident.

Drivers warn that taxi fraud is a damaging financial blow that forces many in the industry to work longer hours just to make a living.

The viral footage, posted on Friday, May 8, by user @Geoffbuycars, has racked up nearly a million views as people flock to see the unexpected British vehicle abroad.

Roads policing officers teamed up with enforcement squads from Sheffield City Council and North-East Derbyshire Council for the targeted operation on Penistone Road on Friday, May 8.

Karl Cairns, 37, carried out the mid-journey assault while travelling from Filey to Scarborough on November 29, 2024.

The airport raised its tariffs on Wednesday, May 6, pushing the Express pick-up and drop-off fee from £5 to £6.

David Brown, of Croy, Inverness-shire, picked up the teenager following a night out in Inverness on December 3, 2023.

A taxi driver recently attended a Licensing Committee hearing following complaints, including the refusal of a customer in a wheelchair. 

The Chair of the Transport Committee has responded to transport measures announced in the King’s Speech. 
