
A 50-year-old cabbie who raped an 18-year-old passenger before dumping her in freezing temperatures has been sentenced to six years and nine months in prison.
David Brown, of Croy, Inverness-shire, picked up the teenager following a night out in Inverness on December 3, 2023.
Although the victim lacked the full fare, Brown told her: "That’s fine and that he would give me a lift anyway." Instead of taking her home, Brown drove past her destination and took her on a rural tour.
During the journey, the victim recalled that Brown put his hand down her unzipped puffer jacket, grabbed her breast, and said: "Oh you’ve been hiding this from me," causing her to freeze in fear.
Data recovered from Brown's own car tracking system proved he drove around the outskirts of Dingwall before pulling into a remote, secluded lay-by near a farm, where the attack took place.
Sentencing Brown at the High Court in Stirling, Judge Lord Renucci condemned the attack on the "vulnerable" teenager.
Lord Renucci told Brown that his victim was entitled to expect a safe ride home, but instead faced "a terrifying ordeal" where Brown took advantage of her inebriation "for your own sexual gratification."
Following the assault, Brown drove the teenager back to Dingwall and "dumped her out of your taxi in the very early hours of the morning" in sub-zero temperatures.
A sympathetic Tesco staff member spotted the shivering girl and opened the store early to shelter her from the cold. The victim later contacted the police, who managed to track down Brown.
Brown denied the rape charge throughout a three-day trial in Edinburgh, maintaining that the sexual encounter was consensual and instigated by the victim - a claim Lord Renucci noted was firmly "rejected by the jury."
Along with his prison sentence, Brown has been placed on the Sex Offenders' Register for life.
Following the verdict, Detective Inspector Michael Cosh praised the victim and encouraged other survivors to come forward, stating: "Police Scotland takes reports of sexual crime very seriously... You will be listened to and supported."

The airport raised its tariffs on Wednesday, May 6, pushing the Express pick-up and drop-off fee from £5 to £6.

A taxi driver recently attended a Licensing Committee hearing following complaints, including the refusal of a customer in a wheelchair. 

The Chair of the Transport Committee has responded to transport measures announced in the King’s Speech. 

Last week, Licensing Officers from Worcestershire Regulatory Services carried out a joint operation with City of Wolverhampton Council, Redditch BC, and West Mercia Police in Redditch town centre.

Shofiul Islam, 40, returned to his car on Monday, May 11, to find his passenger window shattered and his vehicle ransacked.

While North Yorkshire Council has proposed a five per cent increase across all fare bands, drivers argue the hike is far too low to keep their businesses afloat.

The incident occurred on Friday, April 17, after the driver picked up a group of four passengers during the evening.

The British government has announced a massive shake-up of taxi laws to fix a broken system that dates back to the era of horse-drawn carriages.

The proposals, set to be discussed by the licensing committee on 18 May, come after checking the council’s internal costs revealed the price of running the Public Protection service has soared.

Robert Mitchell, 36, was jailed for 30 months on May 8 after admitting to the attack, which was sparked by a dispute over a small upfront fare.

The incident, which occurred on March 23, reportedly began when the man questioned a taxi driver for parking in a disabled bay without a Blue Badge.

To mark its official launch in the city, the taxi firm enlisted the help of Darth Vader, a squad of Stormtroopers, and the Mandalorian to greet the public.

Stuart Thomas Sharp, 54, appeared at Reading Magistrates’ Court where he admitted to forging his taxi licence, badge, and vehicle plate to trick an operator into believing he was still legally allowed to work.

The Brent Green Party has launched a petition urging Mayor Sadiq Khan to suspend the pilot, arguing that the autonomous vehicles "do not meet the minimum safety standards" required for city streets.

Andrew Peters, representative for the Brighton and Hove Cab Trade Association, warned that the situation is now “interfering with the work of taxi drivers” as customers become too intimidated to use the rank.

A team of officers from Essex Police, the DVLA, and Uttlesford, Braintree, Chelmsford, Harlow and Wolverhampton council staff, pulled over 50 vehicles for inspection.

City councillors were told at a recent meeting that the South Gyle site should be operational by May or June once final "snagging lists" are completed.

Adil Aslam, the CEO of Alpha IOW, appeared at the Isle of Wight Magistrates' Court on Tuesday 5 May, to appeal the council’s decision, claiming the move was not "proportionate."

Danyal Masood, 31, admitted to plying for hire and driving without insurance during a hearing at Lancaster Magistrates' Court.

During a cabinet meeting on Wednesday, May 6, local leaders debated whether to scrap Cornwall’s six separate taxi zones in favor of a single, countywide area.
