
Edinburgh's black cab drivers are demanding urgent action from the police and local council as rampant fare dodging bleeds the local trade of an estimated £40,000 every year.
Drivers warn that taxi fraud is a damaging financial blow that forces many in the industry to work longer hours just to make a living.
The scale of the problem was highlighted by a recent Unite the Union survey, and tensions have peaked following the recent conviction of a woman at Edinburgh Sheriff Court for two separate taxi fraud incidents across Edinburgh and Glasgow.
While cabbies welcome the verdict, they argue that being ripped off should no longer be written off as "just one of the hazards of the job."
Veteran driver Keith Auld, who has been behind the wheel for over seven years, revealed that late-night runs involving intoxicated passengers are the most common flashpoints for bilking.
He explained that the financial impact goes far beyond the unpaid meter. “We expect to be paid, and when that doesn’t happen, that’s time and money away from me earning, so a lot of guys are working longer hours to make a living,” Auld said. “It just sets you back and leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.”
Industry figures point out that the true cost of fare dodging is effectively double the stolen fare, because drivers waste valuable time that could have been spent picking up paying customers elsewhere.
Taxi driver Pat Egan emphasised that the crime strikes directly at the drivers' livelihoods. “They’re losing out twice here,” Egan noted.
In response to the crisis, drivers are calling on Police Scotland to simplify the reporting process for taxi fraud, while urging Edinburgh City Council to subsidise the high costs of installing CCTV cameras inside vehicles.
Drivers hope the recent court conviction will finally send a clear message to dishonest passengers. “Taxi fraud is not a victimless crime, it needs to be addressed and we’re going to work hard to get that sorted,” Auld added.
Authorities have urged drivers to come forward, with a Police Scotland spokesperson stating that "any instance of taxi fraud is unacceptable" and asking victims to report incidents.
Meanwhile, Edinburgh City Council said it is looking for ways to support the trade, noting that drivers are already permitted to install CCTV systems provided the equipment passes standard vehicle safety inspections.

Argent Bajrami, 40, was cleared of the single charge by a jury, bringing an end to an allegation that dates back nearly three years.

The cabbie was working on Forge Lane in Etruria when the frightening encounter unfolded.

Kieran McKechnie, 37, of Kirkby, was sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court after being caught operating the "Lil T" drugs line to pay off a £1,300 cocaine debt.

Ramiz, 39, of Melrose Meldreth, faced immediate action from South Cambridgeshire District Council following an investigation into the discriminatory incident.

The viral footage, posted on Friday, May 8, by user @Geoffbuycars, has racked up nearly a million views as people flock to see the unexpected British vehicle abroad.

Roads policing officers teamed up with enforcement squads from Sheffield City Council and North-East Derbyshire Council for the targeted operation on Penistone Road on Friday, May 8.

Karl Cairns, 37, carried out the mid-journey assault while travelling from Filey to Scarborough on November 29, 2024.

The airport raised its tariffs on Wednesday, May 6, pushing the Express pick-up and drop-off fee from £5 to £6.

David Brown, of Croy, Inverness-shire, picked up the teenager following a night out in Inverness on December 3, 2023.

A taxi driver recently attended a Licensing Committee hearing following complaints, including the refusal of a customer in a wheelchair. 

The Chair of the Transport Committee has responded to transport measures announced in the King’s Speech. 

Last week, Licensing Officers from Worcestershire Regulatory Services carried out a joint operation with City of Wolverhampton Council, Redditch BC, and West Mercia Police in Redditch town centre.

Shofiul Islam, 40, returned to his car on Monday, May 11, to find his passenger window shattered and his vehicle ransacked.

While North Yorkshire Council has proposed a five per cent increase across all fare bands, drivers argue the hike is far too low to keep their businesses afloat.

The incident occurred on Friday, April 17, after the driver picked up a group of four passengers during the evening.

The British government has announced a massive shake-up of taxi laws to fix a broken system that dates back to the era of horse-drawn carriages.

The proposals, set to be discussed by the licensing committee on 18 May, come after checking the council’s internal costs revealed the price of running the Public Protection service has soared.

Robert Mitchell, 36, was jailed for 30 months on May 8 after admitting to the attack, which was sparked by a dispute over a small upfront fare.

The incident, which occurred on March 23, reportedly began when the man questioned a taxi driver for parking in a disabled bay without a Blue Badge.

To mark its official launch in the city, the taxi firm enlisted the help of Darth Vader, a squad of Stormtroopers, and the Mandalorian to greet the public.
