
Taxi and private hire companies have condemned recent parking fee increases at Newcastle Airport, branding them an "unjustifiable charge" that hurts both drivers and passengers.
The airport raised its tariffs on Wednesday, May 6, pushing the Express pick-up and drop-off fee from £5 to £6.
Additionally, the fee for spending up to 15 minutes in Short Stay 2 - which had already risen from free to £3 in January when free terminal parking was scrapped - has now climbed further to £4.
Local taxi operators warn that the rising costs are unsustainable alongside high fuel prices. Kate Willits, whose family runs Direct Taxis, explained that the increase forces firms to pass the extra costs onto customers.
"Given the general economy at the moment, anything that means we have to pass on the charge to the customer is an issue," Willits said, adding that a £6 charge for just 10 minutes of parking is hard to justify. The financial pressure has even led some drivers to turn down airport jobs entirely.
For high-volume operators, the financial impact is immediate. Johnny Hall, who drives an eight-seater minibus from Whitley Bay, conducts multiple airport trips daily and faces even steeper fees than standard cars. Hall stated he has no choice but to pass the £7 minibus fee onto his customers due to high fuel prices.
"Nobody was bothered when it was a couple of quid," Hall said. "You can legislate for a couple of pounds here and there, that's not an issue. But £7 every time is."
In response to the backlash, a Newcastle Airport spokesperson defended the price hike, stating that charges are reviewed annually and align with other comparable airports. The airport blamed "rising operational costs" and noted that car park income is used to invest in facilities, attract top airlines, and maintain regional connectivity.
Management also pointed to the free Airport Waiting Zone at Callerton Parkway, which offers a complimentary shuttle bus to the terminal every 30 minutes.
However, taxi drivers note that the vast majority of passengers still expect to be dropped off directly at the terminal doors.

David Brown, of Croy, Inverness-shire, picked up the teenager following a night out in Inverness on December 3, 2023.

A taxi driver recently attended a Licensing Committee hearing following complaints, including the refusal of a customer in a wheelchair. 

The Chair of the Transport Committee has responded to transport measures announced in the King’s Speech. 

Last week, Licensing Officers from Worcestershire Regulatory Services carried out a joint operation with City of Wolverhampton Council, Redditch BC, and West Mercia Police in Redditch town centre.

Shofiul Islam, 40, returned to his car on Monday, May 11, to find his passenger window shattered and his vehicle ransacked.

While North Yorkshire Council has proposed a five per cent increase across all fare bands, drivers argue the hike is far too low to keep their businesses afloat.

The incident occurred on Friday, April 17, after the driver picked up a group of four passengers during the evening.

The British government has announced a massive shake-up of taxi laws to fix a broken system that dates back to the era of horse-drawn carriages.

The proposals, set to be discussed by the licensing committee on 18 May, come after checking the council’s internal costs revealed the price of running the Public Protection service has soared.

Robert Mitchell, 36, was jailed for 30 months on May 8 after admitting to the attack, which was sparked by a dispute over a small upfront fare.

The incident, which occurred on March 23, reportedly began when the man questioned a taxi driver for parking in a disabled bay without a Blue Badge.

To mark its official launch in the city, the taxi firm enlisted the help of Darth Vader, a squad of Stormtroopers, and the Mandalorian to greet the public.

Stuart Thomas Sharp, 54, appeared at Reading Magistrates’ Court where he admitted to forging his taxi licence, badge, and vehicle plate to trick an operator into believing he was still legally allowed to work.

The Brent Green Party has launched a petition urging Mayor Sadiq Khan to suspend the pilot, arguing that the autonomous vehicles "do not meet the minimum safety standards" required for city streets.

Andrew Peters, representative for the Brighton and Hove Cab Trade Association, warned that the situation is now “interfering with the work of taxi drivers” as customers become too intimidated to use the rank.

A team of officers from Essex Police, the DVLA, and Uttlesford, Braintree, Chelmsford, Harlow and Wolverhampton council staff, pulled over 50 vehicles for inspection.

City councillors were told at a recent meeting that the South Gyle site should be operational by May or June once final "snagging lists" are completed.

Adil Aslam, the CEO of Alpha IOW, appeared at the Isle of Wight Magistrates' Court on Tuesday 5 May, to appeal the council’s decision, claiming the move was not "proportionate."

Danyal Masood, 31, admitted to plying for hire and driving without insurance during a hearing at Lancaster Magistrates' Court.

During a cabinet meeting on Wednesday, May 6, local leaders debated whether to scrap Cornwall’s six separate taxi zones in favor of a single, countywide area.
