A cabbie has been ordered to pay more than £700 after illegally accepting fares in Reading.
Get Reading reports that Muhammad Ibrahim – who holds a joint hackney carriage and private hire licence with South Oxfordshire District Council - was found guilty of illegally plying for hire and operating without insurance on 7 March 2020.
He was found out after agreeing to take a fare from a council officer without a formal booking.
Ibrahim, from Reading, was also unable to produce his badges when requested of him at the roadside.
Ibrahim was found guilty at Reading Magistrates’ Court and has been ordered to pay a total of £732 in financial penalties, including a £200 fine, legal costs of £500, and a £30 victim surcharge.
Six penalty points were also added to his driving licence.
Cllr Tony Page, Lead Councillor for Strategic Environment, Planning and Transport, said: “Reading’s taxi and private hire drivers are facing an absolutely dismal time at present, with very low levels of business in the town.
“I hope that this judgement will deter any drivers thinking of working illegally in Reading, as such activity will not be tolerated, and every opportunity will be taken to prosecute those who contravene the laws.”
Test purchases and spot checks are carried out to protect the public by ensuring drivers and vehicles meet the standards set by Reading Borough Council and current taxi legislation.
Council leaders are working to create an eligibility scale allowing them to award funding support to taxi drivers and workers in need.
According to the Clydebank Post, during a discussion at last week’s full council meeting, it was agreed that the chief executive would consult with the leader of the council and leader of the opposition to ensure payments were made accordingly.
It also agreed that council leader Jonathan McColl would continue to lobby the Scottish Government for regular testing and the vaccination of home carers, teachers and support staff in schools.
It read: “Council agrees that we must get this support to people in need quickly and to that end, grants delegated authority to the chief executive, in consultation with the leader of the council and leader of the opposition, to set the eligibility criteria so that payments can start being made as soon as possible."
Cllr McColl said: “I know a number of us will have been contacted, particularly by taxi drivers, who are just one of the groups who have been unable to access other funds to help them through this pandemic.
“It is now at a critical stage; we need to get this money out. I know there has been some discussion between the Scottish Government and councils in terms of setting the criteria, and we want to make sure this isn’t a postcode lottery.
“I am proposing that the CEO come up with the criteria, discuss it with us and agree going forward and get the money out the door to the people who need it.”
Members agreed the terms of the motion. An update will be brought before council in due course.
A cabbie was threatened, stripped down to his boxers and left out on the road on one of the coldest mornings in years after being hijacked by crazed thugs.
The Irish Sun reports that the terrifying incident happened at around 6am on Saturday 9 January
The driver had picked up two other people, who had no involvement in the incident, and dropped them to an area in west Dublin.
It was after they had paid their fare and left the car when the driver was targeted by two other men, who are believed to have been intoxicated.
They jumped in and hijacked the vehicle, threatening the cabbie with what’s understood to have been a blade. They held the man hostage in the car for a time period and even made him strip down to his boxer shorts.
Last Saturday morning was one of the coldest in years, with temperatures plunging to nearly -9C in places.
A source said: “This was a shocking attack on a man who was only trying to do his job. He was left on the side of the road in arctic conditions with no clothes.
The man managed to raise the alarm and gardai picked him up. He later gave the details of the incident to investigators.
It is understood he did not suffer serious physical harm at the hands of the attackers but has been left severely shaken and traumatised by the incident.
Along with some personal belongings, the cash he had in the car for work purposes was also stolen.
A PHV driver tried to escape a driving ban by getting a friend to take his penalty points for speeding. But the boss of his firm reported the incident and the pair were found out.
According to the Daily Post, private hire driver Craig Stuart Jones and his accomplice Paul Nathan Jones have been found guilty of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice after a trial.
They recently appeared at Caernarfon Crown Court to be jailed for five months and three months respectively.
The Judge told the men: “This offence undermines the very foundation of the justice system in England and Wales. “The offence is so serious only an immediate custodial sentence is appropriate.”
Prosecutor Nicholas Williams told the court Craig Jones was caught speeding on the A55 by a speed camera in January 2018. He was caught again on the same road by the same camera the following day.
As Jones already had points on his licence he knew he would be disqualified from driving if caught due to the totting up of his points. So he asked his friend Paul Jones to take the points for one of the speeding offences.
Craig Jones, 36, duly returned a form to say he drove on January 23 that year and that Paul Jones drove the car on January 24 that year.
Paul Jones, 28, filled in a form to say he had driven the car on January 24.
The prosecutor said both were sent on speed awareness courses and neither got penalty points.
But the court heard that about a year later Craig Jones’ former employer went to the police and an investigation began.
The prosecutor said: “The two defendants conspired together to pervert the course of justice by lying about who had been driving.”