
Manchester Airport's managing director, Chris Woodroofe, has defended the facility's parking charges, which contributed significantly to the Manchester Airports Group making £453 million from parking - about a third of its total income.
BBC News reports that responding to a customer's complaint about a fee exceeding £150 for a two-week stay, Woodroofe insisted the cost is "competitive" and represents "exactly the same sort of charge" as parking in a town centre for a single day.
Woodroofe highlighted that the airport faces active competition in the marketplace, stating: "The car parking world is a competitive one. We are not the only suppliers of car parking in this market place. There are several other competitors."
Notably, he pointed out that the airport competes directly with Uber and taxi firms alongside alternative parking providers.
Despite his defence, BBC News noted criticism from customer Ray McGee, who said: "Nobody would realistically be parking their car in a city centre continuously for two weeks, so I don't think that comparison demonstrates the airport charge is reasonable or competitive".
Woodroofe stated that the generated income funds both airport operations and future investments, including plans for a new multi-storey car park to meet high demand.
When asked if that will bring prices down, he said: "We're always going to operate in a world where we are pricing our car parking in a competitive marketplace."
Additionally, he defended the five-minute drop-off fee of £5.50 by claiming it remains "the lowest charge of any of the big airports across the UK."

Allun Wright, who previously received a one-year licence and a warning in April last year, found himself back before the committee after DVLA checks revealed speeding offences in May and November.

Craig Lucas pleaded guilty to assault to severe injury during a hearing at Ayr Sheriff Court.

Despite the suspensions, the regulatory sub-committee chose against revoking any of the four licences entirely.

The veteran cabbie, in his late 70s had worked in the trade since 1981, pleaded with city councillors for leniency, explaining that losing his permit would harm his mental health.

The operation across the City Ward targeted community issues and road safety.

The vehicle was pulled over while travelling southbound near Penrith after officers noticed it speeding in the outside lane.

The incident unfolded after the cabbie collected Gregor Thomson and a friend at 10.30pm on May 5, with the passengers asking to be driven to a pharmacy while demanding the driver “make it quick”.

Max Dangerfield overtook police officers on the A48 at Cross Hands at high speed and accelerated away when they activated their blue lights, before officers soon discovered the horrific collision scene.

Glasgow City Council's licensing committee rejected a local resident's request to revoke the historic rank on Queen Margaret Drive, which has served the area for over 70 years.

Robert Cretu, 40, submitted 30 fraudulent claims to five separate insurers for fictitious dogs that had supposedly died in tragic circumstances, netting a £31,700 between Dec 2023 and Aug 2025.

It served as a specialist transport provider for Worcestershire County Council, investing hundreds of thousands into custom vehicles and putting staff through safeguarding training

Alister Gill, who has held his licence since 2007, was spotted driving slowly with the driver's window partially down while holding a cigarette in his right hand before picking up a hire at an Aldi store.

Dominic Trynka-Watson, 40, had been dropped off at his home in Newton upon Derwent after taking a ride from York when the driver approached his door to collect the unpaid £26 eighty fare.

Police highlighted that taxi drivers hold a unique position to recognise concerning behaviour and offer reassurance.

Three vehicles failed due to a fuel leak, a tyre below the legal limit, and tyres severely lacking required pressure. The DVSA immediately prohibited all three from being used.

The revocations, between Oct 1, 2025, and Mar 31, 2026, followed serious motoring offences, disqualifications, illegally plying, insurance breaches, dishonesty and safeguarding issues.

Two long-serving taxi firms in Banbridge, Q Cabs and Bann Taxis, have officially closed their doors after decades of service and handed over their operations to fonaCAB.

The council explained that the adjustment "would retain the existing start fares but reduce the initial distance and time covered by those fares, resulting in fares moving to the next increment sooner."

The petition demands that airports provide free or low-cost options for brief passenger stops, rather than charging substantial fees just to let someone out before a flight.

City councillors on the public safety and protection sub-committee concluded that the driver, identified only as CB, demonstrated a very concerning pattern of behaviour.
