A taxi driver has spoken of his fear as he watched the bonnet of his car burst into flames while he was out shopping at Intu Derby.
Three fire crews were called out to the city centre shopping outlet around lunchtime after the blaze took hold of the car, as Muhammed Ibrar and his wife were leaving the site on Friday, January 4.
The 40-year-old, was shocked and terrified when he saw the fire engulf his bonnet and the couple immediately evacuated the vehicle.
Mr Ibrar, who works as a taxi driver for Near and Far taxis, said he will not be able to work for about a fortnight while he sorts out getting a new car.
He said: "It was really frightening, my wife and I had been out shopping getting some clothes for our kids and were on our way out of the centre when, all of a sudden, the car bonnet just burst into flames.
"We couldn't believe it, it was just terrifying and we have no idea why it happened.
"We quickly got out of the car and I called the fire service straight away.
"I am fine as is my wife, we both got out pretty fast and just got to safety. We are both a bit sad about it at the minute.
"I work as a taxi driver and I use this car in my job, so this fire is going to set me back a few weeks.
"I am not going to be able to work for at least a fortnight, maybe more depending on how long it takes for the insurers and in getting a new car.
"We are both very shaken by what has happened."
Police and fire crews were called out to Intu Derby just after midday and part of Traffic Street was blocked while they dealt with the incident.
Staff at Intu Derby were stopping cars from pulling into the car park in London Road while firefighters dealt with the incident.
The fire took place on level four of the shopping centre and one witness captured footage on their phone of the car, a burgundy Skoda, in flames.
Steve Ratcliffe, station commander for Derbyshire Fire and Rescue HQ in Ripley, said: "We had three fire engines based on Traffic Street and we were using the dry riser in the building to bring water from the ground floor to the fourth floor.
"It was business as usual at Intu Derby. We are well prepared for incidents like this, although they happen very rarely and we implemented all the necessary procedures."
Customers who had parked on the fourth floor were also being not they did not need to pay for their parking by Intu staff and signs had also been put up on the parking payment machines.
Staff at Intu Derby thanked their customers for their patience.
A spokesman from the centre said: "Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service responded to a vehicle fire in the centre car park earlier today (Friday, January 4).
"It was dealt with very quickly and both the centre and all car parks are open as usual.
“We’d like to thank our customers for their patience and apologise for any disruption this caused.”